Monday, September 24, 2007

Unfunny.

Saturday morning's class is Audio Visual study. Essentially we're learning how to make and edit film, which is great, because that's sort of the area I want to get into. It's an interesting class, the instructor is awesome. Our first day, we watched 12 Angry Men followed by Dark Star. If you've never seen Dark Star, it's Mystery Science Theater 3000 fodder at its finest. Anyway, after viewing this, everyone was talking about how bad it was, when the teacher said "Guess what? You think you can do better, you're getting the chance to prove it." This weekend, we were split into groups and given a small script to film, and it took our group roughly 1/2 an hour to get what will break down into about 1 minute of film.

This class would be awesome were it not for the slovenly bastard sitting near me.
I've referred to him as the unfunny re-animated corpse of Chris Farley. Same delivery and off-timing of Farley, with only 1/4 the comedic content. That, and he can't complete a sentence without saying "fuck" at least twice.

During the films, this jagoff would not shut up. And it's not a quiet aside comment to his near by, comparatively reserved buddy. It's a loud, obnoxious mood breaker. A bit like a fart in a nice restraunt on a first date.

During the explanation of our project, he went on for half an hour in five minute intervals about the history of Mr. Rogers, based solely on the mention of a sweater and one "beautiful day in the neighborhood" reference.

As he sits near me, I loudly expressed my sudden sympathetic attitude towards the young asian gentleman from Virginia Tech. (What...too soon?) After a moments thought, he silenced himself for 3 minutes, spending a majority of that time in front of the classroom scratching his crotch.

For those of you familiar with "Super Troopers" picture Farva, and take away his charm and grace, and you have this guy.

Saturdays are going to wear me very...very thin.

2 comments:

Denier said...

Every class has to have at least one huge asshole it seems. The guy who has to challenge everything the teacher says, or the guy who always has to verbalize every thought that pops in his head, with no filter that tells him (or her) that it not be interesting to other people. There's someone at one of the places I work who is like that: the most inane cliches and pop catch phrases repeated all throughout the day, to the point where I absolutely dread being within earshot, and I'm only there a few days a week! She has this really loud voice, the sound of which you can tell she's in love with, and she uses it to say things like "O.M.G.!!" and 'I.Am.Loving.It." over and over again. Unfortunately she's like a supervisor so all her underlings of course laugh hysterically at her every utterance, while I sulk and curse her out with some choice catch phrases of my own. I can see why people become what used to be called hermits. Most people are just not worth being around.

Serge A. Storms said...

I try to go the hermitage route when I can, but unfortunately the price of hermitage is no Guinness from the tap.