Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A desparate piece

I stopped at the Sunoco near my work. The place has been open for about a year now and has yet to have fuel in the pumps. I go in to get cigarettes and some water. As I'm leaving a fairly attractive woman approaches me. She says she's got her baby in the car and she needs money for gas to get home. I can spare five bucks, so I let her have it. She sees I have a cigarette, and I give her one. I figure my good deed for the year is done. I'm reaching for my keys, and she asks if I'm single. I say yes, and go about opening my door. She comes back around to my side of the car and states that if I can give her fourty dollars for gas and cigarettes, she'll make it worth my while. I'm filled with a kind of sadness that the economy has gone this far. I am not naive, but she obviously wasn't a working girl, and in an act of need was willing to give herself for money. I told her that if I had the fourty to spare, I'd give it to her without compensation, but I can't spare it. She seemed kind of saddened by this, as if her last ditch effort wasn't good enough. I told her to just take what I gave her and get her kid out of this heat.

I'm still puzzled and slightly depressed by this.

We need a fix.

We need it fast.

Mothers shouldn't need to resort to this to get by.

5 comments:

Nehara Seraphine said...

Wow.

Serge A. Storms said...

Yeah. It's been a strange day. I probably should have just stayed in bed.

Denier said...

Sign of the times, as they say.

Whatever happened to Magnimus Max? Did he forever abandon the Internets? Used to like his running commentary...

Serge A. Storms said...

I'm actually going and having a beer with him after class tonight. He's planning on starting a different blog that's more fiction oriented. His fiction work is usually very entertaining.

Denier said...

Sounds cool. I've got some of my unpublishable fiction scattered throughout my archives. Not as big a fiction reader as I used to be, what with truth being so much stranger than fiction these days/