Monday, August 27, 2007

Finally, the Rock has come back to The Realm of Employment!

It has been close to 9 months since I quit/got fired from The HD Call center. 9 months of applications and resumes, tests and background checks, rejections and turn downs and I finally found a job that will work with me on my school schedule and not give me shit. Is it a dream job? No. It's working front desk at a small electronics store. The downside: All customer service is pretty much face to face. The upside: Not that much in the way of customers coming in. Pay isn't great, but they said they'd raise it after 90 days. Best part? I can wear jeans and t-shirts and not have some khaki wearing polo-shirted pawn of the establishment give me shit about it. No, it's not the dream job, but I'll tell ya, it'll work for now.

5 comments:

Denier said...

Hey, good luck. As long as you're going to school, that's the main thing; you can put up with a lot in the workplace as long as you keep the long-range goal in sight. In various other lives, I've been a roofer, worked in the garment district, a liquor store, messenger, telemarketer, shipping clerk, bookstore clerk, etc. Everything is experience, and of course you can use the blog to vent!

Serge A. Storms said...

From the looks of it, this job will be relatively stress free compared to other jobs: Ad clerk, tech support, telemarketing, call center cust service, bartender, corrections officer, convenience store lackey, door to door vacuum salesman....

I think I can handle just about anything that gets thrown at me.

Denier said...

Wait a minute: you were NOT a door to door vacuum salesman! I think that job went out in the 1950s! An electronics-related question, tho: I need a sound card for my computer. What's a good cheap one that I can install myself? Thanks...

Chimpotle said...

I've worked in a grocery store, for a food broker and now a food manufacturer. I did not set out with such high aspirations in the consumer packaged goods industry eleven years ago.

Serge A. Storms said...

Warden: That really depends on how old your computer is and what brand it is. Companies like Dell have now made it close to impossible to replace parts without going through them.

Chimpo: Were it not for your efforts, all of my food would be left out in the open and subject to more communicable diseases. I am thankful for your efforts.