Monday, August 20, 2007

Superbad = Funniest Movie of the last 5 years.



Go to any video store and you'll find at least 300 goof-ball high school comedies. Take every conceivable funny moment from those comedies, turn them to 11, and you've got Superbad. Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg penned this film that is both hilarious and nostalgic, vulgar and poignant. It does so without the "high school comedy" stereotypes that usually plague these films. There's no cocky jock or unattainable cheerleader characters. It focuses more on the awkwardness of the late teen years and does so terrifically. Jonah Hill (I Heart Huckabees, Knocked Up) and Michael Cera ("Arrested Development") star as Seth and Evan, 2 life long school friends who face going to separate colleges after graduation. Jonah plays Seth perfectly as the foul mouthed, sexually fixated ball of hormones, and Cera pulls off the "be respectful to women" foil like he lived it himself. Throw in a geeky kid with a fake I.D. and 2 police officers trying to prove that "cops are cool" and you've got one hell of a comedy.

The jokes are over the top, the physical humor manages to stretch beyond "foot to crotch" (though that does happen a bit), and the chemistry between the characters gels incredibly well. Definitely check this one out in the theaters or whatever.


On the opposite end of the spectrum is Kickin' it Old Skool. Jaime Kennedy plays a 32 yr old who was in a coma for the last 20 years. While watching this movie, you envy the scenes where he's on life support. The concept is kind of like Big meets Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, but without the sentimentalism of Breakin' or the sweet break dancing action of Big. It has a few moments where you chuckle, but nothing to write home about. It was essentially like watching Malibu's Most Wanted, but centered more around break dancing than gangsta rap. Thankfully I didn't pay to see this, and didn't have anything better I could have been doing, or I probably would have started cutting myself about half way through it. I will say that the dance offs were well choreographed, and the first 10 minutes of the movie had enough 80s cultural references to give a glimmer of hope to the movie, but that just added to the let down that came with the rest of the movie. Just to give you an idea of how bad it was, David Hasselhoff's cameo appearance is the funniest part of the movie. So if you're in the mood to lose the will to live, give this one a go.

5 comments:

Denier said...

Good reviews! Superbad has been getting a lot of good press, kind of like Knocked Up: more than just the run of the mill coming of age teen movie. But it's the kind of flick I would probably rent than actually attend.

I noticed on your profile that you list Living in Oblivion, the Steve Buscemi flick. Absolutely hilarious: An indie movie about the making of an indie movie where everything that can go wrong does! If you like Buscemi, then check out Ghost World and In the Soup, two lesser known comedies of his that have the WardensWorld Seal of Approval.

Serge A. Storms said...

I've seen Ghost World, he was awesome in that, but I've never heard of In the Soup. I'll have to check it out.

And Superbad is actually worth the price of admission.

Magnus Maximus said...

I might check out Superbad. It takes a lot to get me off the couch and into a theater these days. I'll definitely want to see the new David Lynch movie though...Inland Kingdom I think it's called. Saw a brief trailer and it looked like vintage Lynch weirdness.

Ghost World is great! Very underappreciated. That Blueshammer band is hilarious.

Serge A. Storms said...

Yeah, I remember you talking about the Lynch movie. I'll look it up and see what's up with it.

Anonymous said...

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your
blog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog
posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently fast.


Here is my web site bmi Calculator women